Monday, December 21, 2009

I'm glad...

I wrote the following on March 15, 2002 (before I considered going to Northwestern for my graduate degree in writing):


It’s time to understand that the stress I put on myself regarding my writing is unnecessary and unwarranted. I need to spend less energy on the thought of writing or not writing and more energy on the action of my craft. What I should do is not be fearful of myself or doubt the words I choose to put down on paper or the screen. As soon as I start to doubt myself that is the moment I give up and get frustrated. Remember the days when all you could think of was writing or getting your creative thoughts down on paper. Those are the days you need to bring yourself back to and mimic. Don’t be afraid of what you write down or how much gets written. Concentrate on making the energy true again and bringing back the spirit that you once had.


I'm glad a lot of that stress is gone. I'm glad I rediscovered my love of the craft. I'm glad I have a supportive wife, who never once complained about her husband spending money and time on a degree that didn't really further his professional career. I'm glad I have friends who support my writing (THAT MEANS YOU, EVERYONE WHO READS, COMMENTS, CONSIDERS, ENJOYS, OR DISLIKES MY BLOG). I'm glad I have a friend like Shay, who continued to push me in the direction of a blog. I'm glad for Lakeside Ink. I'm glad that Harper College allows me to teach classes in creative writing. I'm glad I feel the confidence to cross genres. I'm glad I like to read. I'm glad I have a great job that supports creativity in the world. I'm glad for my lifelong friends from college, who like to poke fun at me about writing (THAT MEANS YOU JAV...STILL WORKING ON YOUR SCREENPLAY AND MEMOIR?). I'm glad my kids always ask me, "when are you going to get your next degree?" I'm glad my wife is dedicated to this family and the education of our children. I'm glad for reunions, reconciliations, and lasting relationships. I'm glad I am healthy. I'm glad I have a job. I'm glad I have a wife. I'm glad I have children. I'm glad my brothers and I have grown closer over the years. I'm glad my mother is helping others. I'm glad for my church. I'm glad for my house, and the welcoming atmosphere--the hospitality--we have created. I'm glad I am less afraid.

I'm glad.

No comments:

Post a Comment