Saturday, January 2, 2010

Celebration #1 - The Cold Table






























The Danes really know how to do things. My wife and mother-in-law have been working their asses off to help me celebrate my 40th. Here is the menu for tonight's smorgasbord:

First Course (Fish)



  • Herring in wine sauce w/onion rings

  • Herring in curry sauce w/dill

  • Matjes Herring w/chopped onion

  • Shrimps w/mayo & lemons

  • Crabmeat w/mayo and lemons

  • Lox w/Lox sauce

  • Mackerel w/mayo

  • Cod Roe w/Remoulade & lemons

  • Eel w/eggs

  • Fillet of Sole w/Remoulade

  • Fried Herring Fillets

That's right...11 different types of fish. Each of these selections are put on a small slice of bread (rye, pumpernickel, wheat, or french) with a spread of margarine/butter.




Second Course (meat)



  • Beef Tenderloin w/Remoulade & mushrooms

  • Flæskesteg w/red cabbage (Danish Pork Roast)

  • Frikadeller w/red cabbage (Danish Meatballs)

  • Medisterpølse w/red cabbage (Danish pork sausage)

  • Leverpate w/bacon & mushrooms (liver)

As if 12 different types of fish were not enough, we have five different selections of fine Danish meats (the tenderloin is not Danish, itself, but an integral part of the Cold Table, according to my mother-in-law...or maybe she just likes it, and damn it, she's in charge here).



Third Course (Fruit Salad)
While it sounds healthy, it isn't. This is a cream based, sugar and chocolate chip filled treat. There is three cans of mixed fruit in it (at the store, I went with the "lite" syrup kind to be healthy - ha!). My niece, Carlee, has also been asked to bake some of her delicious brownies to go with this course. We will probably be serving the Danish licorice my wife bought during this course too.

Fourth Course (cheese)


  • Havarti

  • Danish Blue

  • Brie

  • Esrom

The Danes like their cheese. The stinky the better. I remember the first time I went to a Cold Table with Cyndi. It was for her uncle's 60th birthday. We had only been dating a short time and it was my first time meeting most of the group. I tried the cheese and almost threw up. If you can't get past the smell, you will not get through the taste. Think sweaty, smelly gym socks that have been in the bottom of the hamper for a week. Take that and multiply it by 10. However, I LOVE it now. I guess time makes any palate more sophisticated, or cultured, or maybe I just can't taste anything anymore. By the time we get to the cheese course, everyone is so stuffed, but the cheese is just that good you cannot pass it up.



Of course, all night long we will be drinking the case and a half of Carlsberg Beer and two bottles of authentic, not being imported anymore AALBORG JUBILÆUMS Akvavit (42% Alc./Vol. and 84 Proof).

There are many reasons I love my wife. Her being Danish is certainly one of them. Here's to turning 40 and finally getting my very own Cold Table...

Skol!

1 comment:

  1. this is such a cool undertaking...wish I was there to experience it with you...countdown to 40 is here...for both of us...

    The series I'm reading is on the right side of my blog -- it's called Abram's Daughter...there are 5 books in the series. They're short-er, around 300 pages each. She even throws in Pennsylvania dutch here and there...

    ReplyDelete