Saturday, December 19, 2009

Two months added

If I was 40 in 1970, the year I was born, my life expectancy would have been 65.5 years; much lower than the recently published increase of 77.9 years. The Centers for Disease Control updated the average life expectancy this week by two months since 2006-2007. Two months doesn't seem like a lot, but I'll take what I can get.

As I get closer to reaching this significant milestone, I think back to the day I sat in Ft. Smith, Arkansas 339 days ago. I wasn't very excited about much, feeling sorry for myself, really. My goal was to reflect over my life, and see if I could find the spark that I would feel when I was a kid.


I used to get so giddy as my birthday approached. I looked forward to a special birthday meal my parents would prepare for me, the gifts I would receive, and the well wishes I would get. When my grandparents were still alive--Lillian and Louis, my mother's parents--they always called and performed the same routine.

"Howdy, partner," they would simultaneously say, in their best southern/cowboy voice. Momentarily, I would believe. I imagined they were Roy Rogers and Dale Evans, or maybe even The Lone Ranger and Tonto. I wish I could remember more specifically what they said and how they sounded. It was always one of the best parts of my special day.

Things are starting to come together for me. I am excited about turning 40. I am excited about the events that are being planned. I look forward to it all.

Mission almost accomplished.

No comments:

Post a Comment