Thursday, December 24, 2009

21 more days, Dad

Now that Christmas is here, the kids, apparently, need a new event to count down toward. They've skipped New Year's and have gone right to my birthday.

"21 more days, Dad!" I was excitedly informed. We have a couple of parties coming up to celebrate the occasion, so I am excited too.

In Denmark, people help mark momentous occasions with what is called a "Cold Table." I LOVE cold tables. It's a lot of work, a several course meal consisting of various herrings, meats, cheeses, and of course, alcohol. Carlsberg Beer and Akvavit (snaps), to be more specific. Danes have a saying, that "the herring needs the snaps to be able to swim!" And "you can't have just one snaps, you need two; one for each leg." It's a three hour meal, with lots of conversation, plenty of laughs, and singing.

Cyndi and my mother-in-law are throwing me a Cold Table on January 2. We have about 20 people coming, and I am really looking forward to it.

We are also getting together with friends and family in the city on January 16. Cyndi's planning the day/night's events. She was thinking of an early arrival at our hotel, a couple of frames of bowling (and beer, of course) at a local alley (bowling is something we don't often, and with a group of friends, can be a lot of fun), dinner at a place TBD, drinks at one of my best friend's bar (The Pepper Canister), and possibly a visit to Howl at the Moon. It's a whirlwind day/night, but one that will be great.

I am glad it's only 21 more days left. I'm running out of things to write!

1 comment:

  1. Please stop threatening that your birthday will mark the end of your blogging! :( You're bummin' me out!

    ReplyDelete