Friday, December 25, 2009

Music to my ears

You know you are getting old when the music of the times hurts your ears. It's probably like Rock and Roll was to my grandparents; Elvis, The Beatles, it caused a commotion. Here is a list of the Top 10 current singles on iTunes:
  1. TiK ToK by someone named Ke$ha (that' right, there is a $ in her name)
  2. Bad Romance by Lady GaGa (she wants to be a "Lady" yet has baby gibberish in her name and I've seen her have a Zipper on her eye)
  3. Fireflies by Owl City
  4. Replay by Iyaz
  5. Empire State of Mind by JayZ (featuring Alicia Keyes)
  6. Down (featuring Lil' Wayne) by Jay Sean
  7. Watcha Say by Jason Derulo
  8. Do You Remember (featuring Sean Paul and Lil' Wayne) by Jay Sean (I'm wondering if this guy can sing alone. It took me four times to get these names right)
  9. Party in the U.S.A by Miley Cyrus
  10. Meet Me Halfway by the Black Eyed Peas (the people who brought us such greats as Ring-a-Ling, Boom Boom Pow and My Humps)

Lily got a CD this morning from Santa Claus: "60's Jukebox". We are listening to it right now, and the innocence of it all makes me smile. Here are the 11 tracks on this CD:

  1. These Oldies But Goodies (Remind Me of You) by Little Caesar
  2. Needles & Pins by the Clovers
  3. Sea Cruise by Frankie Ford
  4. Keep A Knockin by Little Richard
  5. Poetry in Motion by Johnny Tillotson
  6. Teen Beat by Sandy Nelson
  7. The Great Pretender by the Platters
  8. Yakety Yak by The Coasters
  9. Sheila by Tommy Roe
  10. More Than Words Can Say by Bobby Vee
  11. Sugar Shack by Jimmy Gilmer

I love to hear songs from my parent's era. Maybe it's the simplicity of it all. I love the fact that men wore hats whenever they went out. They also wore slacks, and collared shirts. They paid attention to their cars, courted their girls, some wore suits to baseball games. And I'm not naive enough to think there weren't problems. What with the drugs and all.

But it still seems like a era I would have loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment