Tuesday, December 29, 2009

A decade of truth

I was thinking about how fast time passes. Not just the year, but the decade. As they say, it was just like yesterday that Cyndi was pregnant with our first born. We hadn't decided on a name right away, so we called our pending baby boy, "Hank." I remember New Year's Eve 1999. Everyone was fearful of Y2K, especially my dad. We were told to fill up our gas tanks, store bottled water, pull cash from our bank accounts, stock up on food, candles, batteries, blankets, flashlights. He, and many others, were convinced the world was going into mass hysteria. We celebrated the New Year at Duggan's Pub on Clark Street, enjoying all you can drink beverages, appetizers, and the company of our friends. Midnight came and went, and nothing different really happened.

So much has changed in the last 10 years. So much.

And then I was thinking about the game of Truth or Dare. Who hasn't played this fun game of our youth? I certainly did, many times with many people. I remember playing with Paula Klokashar, Sharon Harmon, Michelle Wyrack, a girl named Tracy whose last name escapes me, Shay. Kisses were exchanged, truths were told; sometimes a naked body part or two was exposed. It was all such pure and innocent fun. We explored boundaries, and enjoyed simple pleasures.

I thought about the game because of my kids. I was washing the dishes and I heard, "Let's play Truth or Dare," come out of the mouth of my daughter. Boy has the game changed. I mean, I understand she was playing with her brother and all, but the truths were even harmless and humorous.

"Who do you love?" she asked, "I mean, like, in the family."

"Go in my room," Frederic said on a dare to Lily, "and sit in the dark for ten seconds."

I even attempted to help liven the game up. "You need to dare each other to kiss someone or ask something you've always wanted to know."

But who would they kiss? Me? Cyndi? Each other?

And then the smartest thing was uttered in the room:

"We already tell each other the truth. We are a truthful family."


Whew...for now...but the next 10 years may be different, as they fly by like the last.

No comments:

Post a Comment