Sunday, December 27, 2009

No, I am your father

I was seven and ten, respectively, when I first saw "Star Wars" and "The Empire Strikes Back." George Lucas changed the face of movies back then, but I don't think I appreciated his creative gift until now. I've almost always been uninterested in the "Star Wars" movies since I was a kid. I didn't really get much of what was happening on the screen. The light saber scenes, the laser shots in space, cool characters like Yoda, R2-D2, C-3PO, that was what kept my attention. My ability to follow the plot, and understand the message of good vs. evil was overshadowed by my immaturity and lack of interest.

Frederic, on the other hand, is all about "Star Wars." Life, lately, has been "Star Wars Legos" this and "Star Wars" movies that. He's been begging us to let him see the movies, and I've been unmotivated because of my past history. We've had some "down time" over the past two days; the kids playing with their new toys, Cyndi and I packing up the holiday decorations, shoveling snow (three times), and a trip to Byrd School to go sledding. We also snuck in the first two chapters of the original "Star Wars Trilogy." I didn't even know that "Star Wars IV" (the theatrically released first movie) was also subtitled "A New Hope." Frederic did, of course.

Well, I've been schooled. You can teach an old dog new tricks, I guess. Frederic's insistence that I would enjoy myself has proved to be true. The action, the story, even the late 70's/early 80's graphics are all extremely impressive. It's been so long since I've seen the movies that it's almost like watching them new; like Frederic. I'm excited to see "Return of the Jedi" and really anxious to see the latest of the three movies. I don't think I will be disappointed.

I guess I have to continue to keep an open mind, and appreciate the lessons my nine year old son can teach me. Who would have thunk?

No comments:

Post a Comment