Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Not so Trivial Pursuit

Several years ago, Secret Santa started leaving new games for the Fosco Family. One year we got Disney Scene It II, Electronic Catch Phrase, and Uno Spin. One year we got Elefun (not so fun), and another card game I've since forgotten. This year, we received Pictureka, Boggle, and Guesstures. Secret Santa buys these for us so we can continue the tradition of Game Night. We've been intermediately doing game night in our house for years; ever since the kids were much younger.

I like Game Night. We laugh, we cheer each other on, we look forward to winning and sharing the time together. Sometimes feelings get hurt, but those times typically coincide with a child being tired. We are not a very competitive family, per se. I mean, we each like to win, but feel good for those who do when we each don't.

We played games once in a while when I was growing up. Nothing too consistent, but there were times when games helped occupy our time. Especially when my grandmother stayed over. Poker, Rummy 500, Rummikub; most any card or game of skill, really.

I do have a confession to make. It's something I've held in probably since I was about 13 years old. It's not anything I've stewed over much, but whenever we play a trivia type game, I often remember the occasion. Here it goes...I cheated on a question during an intense game of Trivial Pursuit.

Like I wrote, I was about 13. Trivial Pursuit was a relatively new game. It was the Genius edition. I don't remember the question, but I do recall that my father suspected I cheated. I had taken a phone call during the game. My co-conspirator (who had no idea she was in on a cheat) was my oldest friend, Shay. We were talking about a school project, and my turn came up. Shay heard the question, knew the answer and said it aloud. I repeated what I heard, claiming the question was very simple. My father looked at me, straight in the eyes and said, "You're cheating." I continued the rouse and replied, "No I'm not." Looking away as I said the words; the true tell. With that correct answer, I completed my pie and won the game.

I don't believe I ever played Trivial Pursuit with my father again after that.

What a shame. Shame on me, that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment